Review: Versa-Brella (tripod umbrella)



When I posted my DIY Monitor Hood video, there was a great comment which asked me why I didn't just use an umbrella as a shade, which would also shade the operator and protect the camera from rain. The short answer was that I just wasn't that smart. It was a great idea and I began poking around the web for ways to attach an umbrella to my tripod.

The first thing I found was a device that allowed you to attach an umbrella to bicycle handlebars. It was cheap, so I ordered one thinking I could easily adapt it to a tripod arm. It didn't work so well. Next I found an umbrella with a clamp on it, but it had a straight shaft, so I couldn't adjust it to block a moving sun. Finally, I came across the Versa-Brella and it looked just right.

The Versa-Brella has a universal clamp that will grip anything of any shape that is 1 1/2" or less in size (like a tripod arm or leg). It has three articulation points, so the thing can be positioned just about anywhere. It has fabric that is 50 UPF to prevent sunburn and it has safety tips so no one gets hit in the eye with the pokey parts.

When I found the Versa-Brella, I immediately emailed the company that makes them, Sport-Brella, and requested one for review. This is a fairly new product and none of their promotional materials catered to filmmakers or photographers. I knew I had to have one to let the frugal community in on this. They sent me one and the above video is my review.

Synopsis: If you shoot lone wolf in direct sunlight, you're gonna want one of these.


Comments