Mini Camera Stabilizer



I've been using my PVC camera stabilizer whenever I need to run hand-held with my camcorder. It works well to avoid the shaky-cam look, as well as providing fast setups and a variety of shots. Many of you have reported success with this rig, not only with camcorders, but with DSLRs as well.

If you have a smaller camera, however, this rig is overkill. Smaller cams have no optical stabilization (and digital stabilizers corrupt the picture), so a rig like this is a must. In this episode I discuss a smaller alternative to the PVC beast, one that gives you almost all the same benefits of the larger model, without the bulk.

This episode is also a good example of valuable viewer input. When James DeRuvo sent me that picture showing off the Wii controller holder he found and his basic idea, it was a fantastic inception for me. Please keep the great ideas coming and this show will last forever (or as long as I do)!

Alternate Wii Wheel

Mini ball head

Cell phone holder + tripod mount

Comments

Jgesq said…
Great idea. What's the little ball head you are using? May I ask where you got it? How much? Thx. JG
Scott Eggleston said…
Whoops! I added the link information to all the parts in the YouTube description, but forgot it here. It's there now.
SeriousStuff said…
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is going to make my life so much easier... I just hope I can find these parts!

Do you know if this will work with the GO PRO HERO camera? (I'm looking at getting it so I have a dust-proof device for Burning Man)
SeriousStuff said…
nevermind - i just bought them with your links! thanks again :)
Matt McElhannon said…
@Miriam, I haven't tried it myself yet but something tells me this would be fantastic with a GOPRO! You just need that 1/4 tripod mount. This and the GOPRO seem like they were made for each other...
James said…
I received the mini ball head but im missing the screw that attaches to the wii holder...where can i get one and what size should it be? Thanks FF
Scott Eggleston said…
James, use a 1/4"-20 screw, probably about 1/2" in length. I also recommend a 1/4" lock washer, so your screw doesn't unscrew itself.
joel b said…
Hey Scott, I wanted to post my first film. I just didn't know where to post it. Since this topic discusses stabilization, I figured I'd show off my shaky hand a little. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlU6o4ygks

my next vid will be shot with your build. Thanks again!!
Joel
DIYFilmSchool.net said…
This would be an interesting component to test how well my Android's image stabilization really works.

I have an idea of how I'd want to test this, now. Thanks, Scott!