Matthew Sorrels' FF DSLR Camera Rig

Here's a photo of my version of your camera rig (I mentioned it in your comment section). As you can see I changed the back elbow so it can rest on the table flat. I also made the left side a bit larger using 6" pipes rather than 4" so I can get my hand in there to adjust the focus ring on the GH1. I actually think 5" would have been better, I just needed a little more room. For the bolt that holds the camera I ended up with a lot of extra at the top, which is why I added the nut you can see on the bottom. I thought you said you used a 2.5" bolt in the video, but perhaps a 2" bolt would work better?

The GH1 is most likely the heaviest DSLR you could mount on this though. I doubt the Canons would work as well. It fits pretty nicely, but for a larger DSLR you might need a real base plate. Next up is some hockey tape I think or maybe I'll paint it black.

Thanks for putting up the video showing how to make this. I've been wanting a hand held rig for a while now but didn't really want to spend hundreds to get one. This was a great, easy to build solution.

We want your pictures! Send your shots of a gadget created with Frugal Filmmaker directions or inspiration and we'll post it. Don't forget to tell everyone how you did it and give us insight on what works and what didn't.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice rig!
I just made one myself. Now, I'm thinking of adding wheels so it could be used as a dolly as well.
Mike Parker
Anonymous said…
Do you think the T2i would need a base plate on that rig? If that's the case then I'm gonna have to get creative on trying to make one :/.
Action camera said…
If you want to take some good action shots especially in motor or car racing then you should buy or make a mount that holds your camera.