Build a Dimmer Switch for $7.25



In an effort to spread the Frugal word, I've started a YouTube Channel and will posting videos there every week or so. I realize there is a ton of similar content out there, but this is a great way to build an audience (which will take time) as well as share my own unique spin on things. The videos will be lean and to the point, sharing things that I have learned that others may want to use in their productions.

Episode 1 is a simple construction project: making an inline dimmer. These are very handy on set and are easy to build for a paltry sum. When I went to build mine (with instructions from the web), I discovered a few things I knew I had to share in more than just the blog format. Hey, what kind of filmmaker would I be if I didn't make films? Even simple ones?

Here is the Instructables version.

I'm always open to suggestions, so please comment with your feedback. I'd love to hear your opinion and/or ideas for projects you would like to see built for a frugal amount.

Comments

Martin Binder said…
Hey Scott - I built this last night and tried it with a regular lamp...worked pretty well. One thing I did notice though...buzzing from both the light bulbs and the dimmer unit when the light was not full-strength. I was kind of expecting the buzz from the light bulbs (I think I read something about this in the comments on your isntructables version), but the buzzing from the dimmer switch worries me a bit.

Any ideas what would be causing it? Maybe if I utilized the ground and used a three-prong plug it might fix it? The only difference from mine to yours is that I'm using an up/down slider instead of a rotary dimmer.
Monitor Mounts said…
Would there be any difference if you use different type of switch?
Scott Eggleston said…
Not as long as it is a dimmer switch.
Moderador said…
Hello Scott, im sorry for my english. Im brazilian. The video is very cool. I made one just like it. But and the green cable? What role?

Thank you!
bob said…
I want to build a continuous cycle (on-off-on-off) battery operated dimmer switch. Any suggestion as to how to do this? Bob
DIYFilmSchool.net said…
This is one video I put off watching because I thought I'd be hard to do (I'm not really mechanically savvy). I'm glad I watched it, though, because this seems really simple and it was great to see your sillier side :)
Dimmer switches said…
This seems very useful.. and it is really going to help me in the related topic..