Thursday, May 10, 2007

What to do with Writer's Blog, er Block


Dictionary.com describes writer's block as "a usually temporary condition in which a writer finds it impossible to proceed with the writing of a novel, play, or other work." I like that. It almost seems as though the phrase "usually temporary" is written with a snicker.

Anyway, I've noticed that it's fairly easy to suffer from this when trying to be a consistent blogger. I have my formulas that I try to follow, but sometimes nothing pans out. I scour every resource in my list of RSS feeds and digg, but sometimes (like today) nothing inspires me.

Considering I've been suffering from some writer's block from a number of reasons (including lack of sleep), sometimes turning to the dictionary can be an interesting way to come up with synonyms that could make for a good movie title. Since I'm looking for one anyway, I thought this would be a good exercise for some cinematic expression.

Here are some titles that came from "lack of sleep":

Bloodshot (I like that one)
Sleepless
Deprivation
Disturbed
Restless
Strung Out
Transient (ooh, the double meanings!)
Troubled
Unrest

Here's what I got from "block":

Slab
Barrier
Blank Wall
Blockage
Jam
Roadblock (good noir title)
Snag
Stoppage
Stonewall

Let's not forget "weary":

Dead Tired
Dog Tired
Done In
Burned Out
Drained
Pooped
Spent
Whacked
Zonked

Interesting what you can come up with when you have "nothing". Oh, the possibilities, the possibilities...

2 comments:

Danny said...

I like these titles:
Squat
Rotund
Sarcoptic Mange
Monskonisville
Mau?
Crotch!
Skittish

These would also be good names for rock bands.

XOXO
Danny

Scott Eggleston said...

I'm not sure I'd want to see a movie named "Crotch!", but perhaps "Scarcoptic Mange" has potential...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...