Review: LG G4 Smartphone



I guess I'm doing something right as companies are now contacting me to review their products. This isn't new, but reviewing a new cell phone is. LG contacted me and asked if I wanted to check out their new G4 smartphone before it went public. At first I wasn't going to do it, but considering how pervasive smartphones are and their potential to record audio and video, I reconsidered.


While I liked the phone (see video above), the strongest attraction to any filmmaker has to be the video camera and I found that the G4 came up short for me. It's true you can shoot near-4k video, but I have little need for 4k anything. I was mostly interested in the front-facing camera for on-the-road video blogging purposes, but was disappointed in the resulting image quality.


I know that these phones are not made specifically for filmmakers. They are kitchen sink devices that try to be everything to everyone. That rarely works, but I will say the still camera mode was impressive (complete with full manual control, unlike video mode) and it is a great little media consumption device. I can't really comment on it's use as an actual phone, as this G4 review model is Wi-Fi only.

Comments

Jeffrey Collins said…
Thanks Scott for that. I guess for now I'll get back to pining after an iphone 6. guess LG needs to do like Microsoft and stop trying to rush new products out to consumers. Always bites you in the behind in the end.
Info Gadget said…
LG G4 is cool and cheap, love leather cover.
Jeffrey Collins said…
OK Scott. I have to go back on my previous comments. I was able to get an LG G4 during their recent contest. So glad I won. :D I have been digging the camera section of this phone, amazing details, amazing quick focus, and even amazing video, which apparently you couldn't get out of yours. Here's something I got just last night, using full auto mode..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73v88NaWoU

Hope you enjoy it and think about using the camera a bit more for your B-Roll, cause I have and I'm quite happy I did.

Cheers.
Jeffrey